Roasted & Salted Baked Potatoes

This is not a revelation. It is a baked potato.

However, for those who are devoted to the simple spud, this is a good thing to know. I love a simple baked potato. Simple…well, I mean piled up with butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream. But, I am often surprised at how mediocre a baked potato can be. In fact, I had a baked potato in Dallas recently for which I paid good money from a vendor who had no excuse to not offer a superior potato experience, and it was just depressing.

So, just in case you love them as much as I do, I want to share this simple baking method. One of my favorite baked potatoes is at a different local joint and their potatoes are wonderful because they are crusted in salt.

This is similar. It is a potato you eat ceremoniously, from the inside to the outside, consuming every last bite of the peel. No abandoned potato hulls here. The secret is baking it a very high heat without wrapping it in foil. So, buy potatoes and all of your favorite toppings and call this dinner.

Roasted & Salted Baked Potatoes
Recipe type: side
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 1
The best and simplest way to make baked potatoes!
Ingredients
  • 1 Russet potato
  • Canola oil or lard
  • Kosher salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Rinse and dry the potato. Pierce it a few times on top with a fork. Rub the potato with a small bit of oil or lard. Sprinkle the potato with approximately ½ teaspoon of kosher salt (plenty will fall off the potato). If it is not sticking, you can roll the potato over the salt that has dropped off. Place the potato on a baking sheet in the preheated oven.
  2. Bake for one hour. Pierce the potato with a fork. If the fork meets no resistance, it is ready. If it is not quite soft, bake it for another 10 minutes. If you find the potato is browning too much, cover it loosely with foil for the additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. Beware, these dudes are HOT. Use tongs or baking mitts.

Notes:

Here is a funny one for you…are you methodical about topping baked potatoes? I am. And I get inappropriately concerned for people who don’t understand the thermal implications of proper potato dressing. I might be insane. In my little world, the butter must go first, because it must melt. Then the cheese must be put into the potato and potato scooped over it, so the cheese ends up in the middle…melting. If you put the sour cream on before the cheese, the cheese will not melt properly. Then the sour cream, bacon, etc. And, I put so much bacon in a baked potato that it is almost criminal. It counts as a meat course.

And, this will date me undoubtedly. But I remember when the absolute height of fancy at a restaurant was when they had the little swiveling condiment caddy full of butter, cheese and sour cream, and the waiter would dress your potato table-side? I love that! I bet waiters absolutely HATED performing that function for 10 year olds, or anyone else for that matter. Oh well…memories.

Also, I have un-hydrogenated leaf lard that I use for pie pastry. I buy it from Dietrich’s Meat Market in Krumsville, Pennsylvania, or Dai Due in Austin. If I didn’t have that on hand, I would just rub the potato with oil. I’m not saying to go buy the shelf stable lard at the grocery store. It is a different product. I’m not saying don’t. I’m just saying it is different.

I first came across the high heat idea in a Desperation Dinners column in the Dallas Morning News, by columnists Alicia Ross and Beverly Mills.

Comments

1. Katherine says

i am going to turn the oven on right now ! my great aunt Maudie prepared baked potatoes the way you do / she rubbed them in oil, maybe olive oil, and coated them in salt / i just love them that way / it was quite a while before we were introduced to sour cream on them or ever thought of adding cheese and/or bacon / i go back a ways, age wise / smile / oh, i have some lard on hand too / i like it for the occasional biscuit or pie crust / i will use lard then for the first time on the potato / now i wonder if great aunt Maudie used crisco as i recall these potatoes during WW2 when butter was rationed / we always had butter though despite the rationing / we wd wait in line at the supermarket to get one pound of butter when the truck came in / not very often / those were the days

2. Kelly says

Katherine, I’m so glad to hear it. Definitely, go fire up the oven! I will tell you that the reason I don’t use olive oil that is that it is more apt to misbehave at these higher temperatures. So perhaps stick with the lard, shortening, or other type of oil. Good luck! I love that salt.

3. says

Kelly, on your suggestion, I bought two honking russet potatoes and am roasting them as we speak. Great dinner suggestion. At the half hour mark, I am adding a chopped up cauliflower tossed with olive oil, salt and powdered Hatch chili. The last 15 minutes I’ll add vegi patties to top the potatoes. One full oven; one full meal. Add neighbor maid coleslaw, and I’m done. Thank you.

4. says

Omg, I almost died when I read about your ideas on topping a potato!! I am the EXACT same way for the EXACT same reasons! If you but the sour cream on too soon, it cools down the potato to the point where neither the butter or cheese melts properly – common sense!! My friends and family tease me about my potato preparation but when finished, I always have the best potato at the table and everyone else is just plain jealous, lol!

5. Kelly says

Lauren, you made my day! Good to know I’m not alone in my devotion to properly dressed potatoes.

6. Charlie says

Morning Kelly!

I hope the sun is shining for you today.

I make salt potatoes.

I coat them liberally in butter and roll them in kosher salt till they are completely covered, and then bake them.

When they are done, the salt falls off and I’m left with a hot moist delicious potato.

Yours sound so delicious, and probably healthier :~D

Have a Joyful Day

Charlie

7. Barbi Norton says

Kelly – I am craving baked potatoes right now! Too bad we don’t have an oven at work. I’m the same as you about “dressing” my baked potato, butter first, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits – yum! I love to eat at McBride’s because they have the little rotating condiment thingy with all the goodies for your potato – and I get miffed if I don’t get to use it first – haha!

8. Kelly says

Charlie, I’ve done something similar with small new potatoes, and it was wonderful! I’m a big fan of that method too. You have a joyful day, as well. Thank you for visiting.

9. Susan says

Sounds, of course, delish. But I note in a comment – “powdered hatch chili” – what ?? What?? where? How? Who?

10. Anne Mullen says

Kelly, I,m Irish just a couple of generations back, so I’ve never met a potato I don’t love, and baked are among the best. After reading through this recipe, I noted that you first got the high-heat idea from Desperation Dinners in the Dallas Morning News. I’m not an enthusiastic cook, though I love to eat, and that cookbook is my favorite. I often find only one recipe to use over and over from a cookbook, but I’ve used many from that one. They cook at a lever I can manage.
    I can’t wait to try the baked potato; salty skins are the best.

11. Kelly says

Hi Anne, it was so nice seeing you again tonight. I don’t know exactly where it comes from but if love of potatoes is any indicator, I must have a little Irish in me, too!