I’m sure this isn’t about you. And, to be honest, we don’t entertain overnight guests often, thanks to a lack of extra rooms. One must like to sleep on couches or bunk beds to stay at Casa Wildwood. But, occasionally a host might not want to get up at the crack of dawn to prepare breakfast for guests, or even to pre-heat the oven, for that matter. Let’s assume that you actually like the guest, however. You might be willing to whip up a little something the day before, right? Sure.
Bagels and blueberry cream cheese is easy. I’ll admit right up front that this cream cheese is bordering on cake icing. It is not quite that sweet, but it is thinking about it. You can omit the extra confectioners’ sugar if you prefer a less sweet spread. But this is a great way to liven up a breakfast or brunch and the color is quite stunning. Add a big bowl of seasonal berries and call it good.
|Blueberry Cream Cheese|| |
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, plus a few for garnish
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 big blocks), room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon water
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Rinse and drain the blueberries. Place them in a small saucepan with the granulated sugar and the water. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook for about three minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-safe bowl to cool. You may place it in the refrigerator to cool.
- Once the sauce has cooled, place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip the cream cheese for one minute. Add the sauce a little at a time until it is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape the bowl to ensure that you have no white stripes. Add the confectioners' sugar and continue to mix until it is thoroughly combined with the cream cheese.
- Transfer the blueberry cream cheese to a serving dish. Cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Garnish with fresh blueberries.
Other breakfast and brunch posts of which I am fond (but which require a bit more effort) include: